OPRA™ Implant System
The OPRA™ Implant System is a bone-anchored system based on osseointegration where the prostheses are directly attached to the bone and thus avoiding the use of socket. The system utilizes a modular design consisting of three main parts that have been developed and refined over the years based on many years of development and clinical research. The unique design ensures protection of the patient by avoiding bone fractures from accidental loads. The implant components are inserted surgically into the bone of the amputation stump in one or two surgical sessions.
- Fixture: Anchoring element inserted into the patient’s bone
- Abutment: Skin penetrating connection attached to the fixture
- Abutment Screw: A screw made of titanium alloy that locks the Abutment to the Fixture
OPRA™ Fixture BioHelix™
A new surface technology has been introduced (BioHelix™), after 15 years of research and clinical testing. The new surface will take osseointegration to the next level and promote faster, stronger attachment to bone, thereby increasing the strength of the bone-to-implant interface
It started already in 2004 when Integrum´s unique BioHelix™ surface was developed in close collaboration with the Department of Biomaterials at the University of Gothenburg. Since then, several experimental studies have shown more rapid healing and stronger osseointegration.
Features of the OPRA™ Fixture BioHelix™
- Decreased time to healing and improved bone-to-implant stability
- Increased degree of osseointegration, created by its micro- and nano-sized structures that takes osseointegration to the next level
- Significantly increased strength of the bone-to-implant interface (proven in several studies)
- Increased range of motion
- Eliminates pressure, sores and pain caused by the socket
- Stable attachment
- Easy attachment and detachment
- Better for arm ability
- Improved osseoperception (sensory feedback)
- Can be worn all day, every day
- No socket adjustments required
- Suitable for short amputation stumps
A well proven system used in over 500 surgeries
The OPRA™ fixture is coated with a new surface technology, BioHelix™, that has been developed by Integrum after 15 years of research and clinical testing. The surface will take osseointegration to the next level and promote faster, stronger attachment to the bone, thereby increasing the strength of the bone-to-implant interface. The prosthesis is connected to the OPRA™ Implant System using a connection, load controlling device. Integrum has developed specific components each customized for different indication levels, including both upper and lower limb.
The OPRA™ Implant System components are implanted during one or two stage surgeries. The first surgery with the OPRA™ Implant System was performed in 1990 by Professor Per-Ingvar Brånemark and Professor Björn Rydevik and over the coming almost 30 years, more than 500 surgeries have been performed in fourteen countries. Clinical studies show that the surgery significantly improves the quality of life for amputees.
Are You a Potential Candidate?
Are you an amputee who experience problems with conventional socket prostheses? Then the OPRA™ Implant System may be applicable for you.